Before beginning your graduate school application, review all UND and program admission requirements.
Graduate School Admissions Requirements
Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent
A four-year bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a regionally accredited college or university (for U.S. degrees, accreditation by HLC, MSCHE, NECHE, NWCCU, SACSCOC, or WSCUC). Exceptions to this policy must be approved by the Dean of the School of Graduate Studies. For bridge or combined or degree programs, refer to the admission requirements under each department.
A cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 2.75 for all undergraduate work (2.5 for M.Engr.) or a GPA of at least 3.00 for the junior and senior years of undergraduate work (based on A=4.00).
Program Specific Requirements and Deadlines
Your graduate academic program may have additional admissions requirements and unique admissions deadlines. Review your program's requirements page in the Program Finder to see all program specific requirements.
English Proficiency Requirement
All graduate applicants must demonstrate academic-level proficiency with the English language before they'll be considered for approved admission status. This requirement must be met by all applicants, regardless of citizenship, residency or nation of birth. No applicants will be considered for approved admission status until the English Language Proficiency requirement has been met. The English Proficiency requirement will not be waived for any reason.
This requirement may be satisfied in any of the following ways:
- A bachelor's degree or higher from a recognized institution where English is the primary language of instruction in the United States and U.S. Territories, Australia, Canada (except Quebec), England, Ireland, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, Scotland, Wales, Commonwealth Caribbean or New Zealand.
- An overall band score of at least 6.0 on the IELTS.
- UND only accepts IELTS scores that have been taken within the last three years.
- If your IELTS scores are more than three years old, you'll need to retake the test.
- A satisfactory score on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), which depends upon the type of TOEFL taken:
- Paper-based TOEFL (PBT), you must score at least 550
- Internet-based TOEFL (iBT), you must score at least 76 (Some programs below require additional and/or higher scores on the TOEFL to be considered for admission.)
- Successfully completing the English Language Service (ELS) Language Center's Intensive Level 112.
- Or a score of at least 110 on the Duolingo English Test.
To be considered for a Graduate Teaching Assistantship, a Speaking subtest score of 26/30 is required on the TOEFL.
Because we want all our students to excel from the very first day of their studies, all applicants (degree-seeking, certificate-seeking and non-degree seeking) must meet these requirements. We will not waive this requirement for any reason.
Apply to UND Graduate School
Are you ready to take the next step in your educational career? Review the application process and apply today.
Please review our international student admission process.